Meet our January 2024 Teacher Feature: Pole instructor Dey Phoenix and Aerial Instructor Fran Sperling. If you haven’t taken class with them yet, we hope you get to know them a little better through our “Upside Down Challenge” and if you’ve already taken their classes, maybe you’ll learn something new! Best of all, enjoy classes with Dey and Fran for $25 throughout the month of January!
Take class with Dey: Use code BPDEY
Take class with Fran: Use code BPFRAN
**PLEASE NOTE: instructor discount codes are only valid for classes with Dey and Fran. Using the codes for any other instructor will result in early cancellation or a $45 single class purchase. No exceptions.
MEET DEY PHOENIX
- What do you love about being an Aquarius and how are you celebrating your birthday this year? Oh, I love that we are all about humanitarianism and about our community and I am doing a birthday show January 27 – Black Phoenix Nest (editor’s note: get your tickets here!)
- How did you get started teaching pole dance? So actually I’ve always wanted to be a stripper and then I found out that pole existed as a practice at studios, so I went to Pole Con, got certified and the rest is history 6 years out.
- You have productions at House of Yes, you are producing a show, you teach 11 classes at Body & Pole alone and yet you are so energized all the time. What drives you? For me, dance is a language and it’s always been like therapy for me so I am my most truest self when I’m dancing, when I’m performing, when I’m listening to music. What really drives me is just music overall and a just love of freakin’ life.
- Is there anything that has ever happened that has made you blush? Oh my gosh, it was the student showcase and Adam had introduced me. Everbody was freakin’ screaming and I legit was backstage about to cry.
MEET FRAN SPERLING
- How long have you been teaching aerial dance? I haevn’t really thought about he entire number of yeras, but since around 1987 or something. Do the math!
- We know you’ve performed at small venues and MSG for Phish, so what is your favorite audience size to perform for and why? Oh, I love massive, I mean I think my favorite performance was in Amsterdam and was a big huge event, you know, black tie event, big audience tables everywhere and I like that. I like big events.
- We noticed you’re still so willing to learn new skills and be a student. Can you tell us about why that’s so important to you? Why it’s important to still be a student? Because I never stop learning. I think it’s partially the challenge of seeing where I can take my own skills, like the straps, they’re very new to me and they’re very challenging butI just want to see if I can still push my own limit. And as far as taking classes with other people, you never stop learning skills of how to to teach, so there’s always something I’m continuously picking up on.
- We heard a rumor you’re starring in an upcoming Body & Pole production. Tell us about that. I just found out about that recently too. So apparently yes, I am told that I’m going to be playing the role of Cristal in “Showgirls” or some variation that Kyra’s putting together. I don’t really know what that entails yet but I understand she’s going to tell me about it pretty soon because it’s supposed to start in February.